Sunday, January 31, 2010

Nature's Still Life #2



This is painting #2. I started by painting the shadows in staining colors (see below), and then washed a mix of cerulean blue, raw sienna, yellow ochre, burnt sienna, ultramarine blue (all sedimentary) over the backround. I then used salt and water from my spray bottle to get all the background texture. Next I went in and painted the rocks by first taping around the edges and then sponging, spattering, etc. I realized that my shadows underneath were too hard and I had to scrub them out quite a bit to get the rounded shape back. I also lost more of my whites than I wanted, so I had to Magic Clean some of them back. The twig also needed some lifting to get back to the whites and then I added some blue in the light spaces to contrast with the orange leaves. I purposely kept the leaves a little less textured than the other areas, but in looking at it now, I think they could use more variation. There is actually sponging on top of the leaves, but it may be too subtle.

I definitely think this is going to be a fun subject. I'm looking forward to trying lots of different texture techniques and maybe changing the shape of the big leaf to make it more interesting.




2 comments:

janice said...

I don't know what MB said, but I love them! This is such a good subject for this project. I see what you mean about the shadows, and I can appreciate how you slaved over the details. Remarkably, for all the scrubbing and struggling you report, both of the paintings look fresh and not in the least overworked. I can't wait to see what you do over the course of the workshop!

Pixel Pattie said...

I really love this. I didn't know you were taking the class again...have fun! Tell Sheila HI!

I even love the underpainting by itself!! I think you will have fun with this one!

See you soon....lunch with the girls??