Saturday, November 14, 2009
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
Wednesday, October 28, 2009
Friday, July 24, 2009
The dirt rows were obviously more brown than the grey I used, but I think the grey makes the bright flowers pop more. Also, my hills in the back sort of faded, but it gives it some good atmosphere. This was a cheaper Canson block and the background washes didn't behave the way I was used to. However, I think their fuzziness plays nicely off the texture in the foreground. Anyway, this one makes me happy when I look at it.
Tuesday, June 23, 2009
Sunday, May 10, 2009
Wednesday, May 6, 2009
Friday, April 24, 2009
This was an attempt at applying my leaf painting to an arbitrary value design. Thanks Mike for suggesting this. It definitely made my leaves beyond the obvious.
I started by scribbling 9 possible value patterns in my notebook and then choosing my favorite. In order to translate the thumbnail to fullsize, I tore pieces of construction paper (black and medium) and arranged them on a light background that would be the same size as my final painting. I tried to keep close to my original value design. Then I traced the design onto tracing paper. I then did an underpainting of yellow/orange and blue and transferred the light pattern only. I did a layer of orange over everything, preserving my lights. I then transferred the dark value pattern and did a layer of thalo blue, just where the darks were. Then I finally drew in where my leaves were supposed to go and painted them in on top. Finally I adjusted lights and darks for the final version.
I photographed it as I went, so I could watch what was happening. In retrospect, I probably should have paid more attention to when I was using semi-opaque layers (like Cad Red), but you can still see most of the layers coming through.
Sunday, April 19, 2009
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Added some Thalo greens and then some darks of Alizarin Crimson/Thalo Green mix. Definitely moved it to a tone painting with only minimal tints. I need to move my grapes back and do something about that area behind the grapes.
I definitely find this process very tedious and unpredictable. It is so hard to plan on where to put your early colors. Oh well, time to give this one a break for awhile. I'll keep working it because it definitely isn't "right" yet.
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
This is the original painting I did back in January. It was from a photo and plein air watercolor sketch I did at the Savannah-Channelle Vineyards. I had a fun time making the colors mix on the paper and trying to get some rich colorful darks. However, I was never happy with the value plan and the light background on the left came forward too much.