Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Grape Leaves #4 - dark layer



Added some Thalo greens and then some darks of Alizarin Crimson/Thalo Green mix. Definitely moved it to a tone painting with only minimal tints. I need to move my grapes back and do something about that area behind the grapes.

I definitely find this process very tedious and unpredictable. It is so hard to plan on where to put your early colors. Oh well, time to give this one a break for awhile. I'll keep working it because it definitely isn't "right" yet.

3 comments:

katherinemp said...

I love to watch the progression...this is fun. Mom

Mike said...

Kaaren . . .You are such a terrific lady!! This is a great project. Here is a suggestion: Consider making a value abstraction exclusive of the subject then overlaying the subject and following the value plan. I think you will find the painting much more interesting and will possibly have more positive / negative counterchange . . .which will make for a much more entertaining image.

Keep up the great work . . .and the diligence. It will definetely pay off, knowing you. ;-)

Your pal

Kaaren said...

Thanks Mike,
That is an excellent idea and will help me get out of my box. The light across the leaves was actually pretty random so it makes sense, too. Now if only I can actually stay disciplined enough not to fall back into my "subject"...
-Kaaren