Friday, July 24, 2009

Goldsmith Seeds

What a fun place this was! Goldsmith Seeds is down in Gilroy. Only two of us from the Watercolor Society showed up at this paint site, but it was definitely worth the drive. I just loved the rows of flowers. I did this in just about two hours and have still not done any adjusting at home (although it needs it).

The dirt rows were obviously more brown than the grey I used, but I think the grey makes the bright flowers pop more. Also, my hills in the back sort of faded, but it gives it some good atmosphere. This was a cheaper Canson block and the background washes didn't behave the way I was used to. However, I think their fuzziness plays nicely off the texture in the foreground. Anyway, this one makes me happy when I look at it.

4 comments:

janice said...

Beautiful, Kaaren, just baautiful! I like the way you've minimized the detail, making only the closer beds a bit more textured and those further away less so. The pale gray of the paths does put the emphasis on the colorful flowers. The wash of pink across the hills is a nice touch, too. Sorry I missed this painting opportunity!

Watercolor Wendy said...

I love the colors and the way you created perspective. It looks so fresh.

Pixel Pattie said...

I love the rows and rows of color! It looks like you have been really busy. I love the los gatos one too. I want to attend one of the paint sites but have not been able so far. maybe when school starts. See you soon! I'm done with all my travels for the summer

Pattie

Sheila Estep said...

Really Beautiful and so colorful! The perspective is awesome. I can almost smell the blooming flowers :-)