Sunday, April 18, 2010

Nature's Still Life #16


Okay, I definitely got out of my box on this one. I was inspired by Esther's technique of squirting paint directly onto the paper and using a small piece of matboard to scrape the paint like a pallette knife. I did no drawing. Just figured out my value pattern and colors. Started squirting straight from the tube. I used some black gouache as well as regular watercolor paint and when I sprayed it with water it made some fascinating textures. I then went back in with regular washes to pick out the leaves and rocks. I was particularly happy with the soft edge of the left leaf. I probably should soften the back edge of the right leaf, but maybe the value is close enough that it doesn't matter.
This was alot of fun to do and as you can see, I kept turning the board so the drips went every which way and did some splatter as well. My kids think it looks like some one's head was blown off, but I kind of like it.

No comments: