Sunday, April 18, 2010

Nature's Still Life #17

I used the same technique on this one, but went with less "violent" colors. Also, since I was squirting straight from the tube I went with colors I don't usually use, like Hooker's Green and Cadmium Yellow. I also used white gouache instead of black this time. Once again, I just started with a value pattern sketch (no drawing) and began squirting and scraping paint. Then spraying and letting the colors run together. Once that was done, I just searched for interesting shapes and textures to further define for the rocks. I tried to keep the hard edges where the center of interest was and keep most other areas fairly soft. I definitely enjoy this technique and find it very freeing. But it helps that I've already painted the same thing 15 times.

No comments: