Sunday, April 18, 2010

Nature's Still Life #18


I decided to try watercolor crayons for this one and really struggled. You really don't have any idea how intense the color will be when it gets wet, so it was tricky. I was trying to use a Monet style of mixing colors, by putting the warm and cool colors next to each other instead of actually mixing them. Anyway, this one was a failure, but I put it here anyway.
You'll note compositionally, I tried to move the little rocks up more on the page and make the center part of the white sideways "V" guide you to that focal point (along with the directional nature of the twigs). Unfortunately, the leaves ended up so intense that your eye doesn't seem to go there. I do like my basic intention, but my execution leaves a lot to be desired on this one.

No comments: